Translate

Thursday, January 30, 2014

DIY Pin Buttons

First, let me start by saying that I am very proud of myself. I've stuck to my commitment of DIY Thursdays. *Cyber High-Five/Fist-Bump* Now on to the DIY!

I personally have an extensive collection of pin buttons. Most of them come from a phase I went through in high school. I had pin buttons on everything. My backpack, my jacket, my t-shirts, my jeans, and my soul. Figuratively speaking, of course. So I have an abundance of these things and I finally figured out how to repurpose them to give them a new look. 

For this DIY you'll need:


Pin Buttons
Mod Podge - Any kind will do.
White Acrylic Paint
Paintbrush
Tissue Paper - The more interesting the paper, the more interesting your pin buttons will be.
Optional:
Sharpie Pens


1) Find a pin button you have that has become useless. Maybe it's useless because you realized the band you idolized in your youth is, in reality, awful. Or maybe the slogan on it doesn't really pertain to anyone over the age of 13. For instance, "Daddy's Little Angel" or "Boys are cute". So let's turn these pin buttons into something useful.

2) Now paint the button white. A couple of coats will be necessary. Let each coat sit for a few minutes before painting the next coat on. Don't forget to go over the sides of the pin button. Once the color is opaque let it dry completely.

3) Pick your tissue paper and cut out a piece larger then your button. You can trim away any excess. For my button I cut out each individual skull.

4) Now put a thin layer of Mod Podge on the pin button and gently press the tissue paper on it. Let it sit a minute or two and trim the excess tissue. Then put a thin layer of the Mod Podge along the edge and gently press the tissue down the sides. Let dry completely. 

5) Your new pin button is done! I did a few different variations to show the various tissue papers I used. I had some metallic paper and some tie-dye paper. For the colored buttons I tinted them with sharpies. 

So there is the DIY. Doesn't repurposing give you a good feeling? The joys of re-using! Here is how some the pin buttons look on a blazer. Sorry for the bad quality! I really need to photograph in daylight. 


I hope you liked this DIY. Don't be scared to share!











No comments:

Post a Comment