Translate

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Repurposed (D.I.Y.) Jewelry Bookmark

Here I am half a year later. No excuses because I have none. Ah procrastination, you heartless wench.

If you are a fan of DIY and a fan of making something new out of something old, this my friend is the tutorial for you! I got this idea from this image.

The url no longer works, but here it is. (If anyone knows where this image is from please let me know, so I can give proper credit.)
http://goo.gl/0qYTAJ
On to the tutorial:

First, gather your supplies. 
Note: I used ribbon for this tutorial, but it is possible to use any fabric you chose.

1. 1 1/2 inch Ribbon
2. Ribbon Clamps
3. Jump Rings
4. Assorted pieces of broken jewelry
5. Pliers
6. Sewing Machine (or hands for sewing)
Optional
- Lighter (to help with fraying edges)

- Here are the ribbon clamps I used. I bought them from Michaels; the brand was Bead Landing. These were easily the most expensive part of this DIY. Approximately $4 for 10 clamps.

- Here are the assorted pieces of broken jewelry and jewelry baubles. Buttons, broaches, and studs can also be used for this project. 


Second, measure out how long you want your bookmark to be. I made mine 9 inches, but depending on the book you're using this for, it may have to be longer or shorter.
Note: The ribbon I chose was 1 1/2 inches, but a wider ribbon can also be used.


Third, cut the ribbon leaving approximately a 1/2 inch to fix the fraying edge. Then fold the ribbon in half lengthwise and pin. Get your ribbon clamp ready.


Optional : Fourth, use a lighter to fix both fraying edges by lightly running the ribbon alongside the flame. The flame should melt the edge so it will no longer fray.


Fifth, sew alongside the open edge of the ribbon making sure the fold is straight. You should get a long tube like the one pictured.


Sixth, attach the ribbon clamps to both sides of the tube. Making sure to use pliers. This is possible to do using your hands, but pliers will save your fingers.

Lastly, attach a jewelry bauble to one of the ribbon clamps, or both, and start using your nifty bookmark!

- Here is a another photo of the bookmark. It looks majestic almost, doesn't it?

- I wanted to show the length of the bookmark in this photo. It is on top of my Jane Austen book. As you can see this is a good length for this book. If the book was smaller or larger I would need to adjust accordingly.

Most of you should have most of the supplies on hand. Especially if you all are craft hoarders like I am. Follow me to keep up with all the DIY I have planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment