Translate

Thursday, February 27, 2014

DIY Technique : Lace Trim

I felt that Lace Trim deserved it's own DIY, but because it can be used in so many different ways I decided to call it a DIY Technique. I have used lace trim in countless DIYs. I have used it to trim the hem of pencil skirts, the top hem of socks, the cuffs of a coat, and even as a DIY peter pan collar. So get creative and work that trim!


Here is what you will need:

- Lace trim of your choice (Get a trim with some stiffness, it will hold its shape)
-A Needle
-Thread in corresponding color
-Pins



I decided to revamp a dress that was a bit too plain for my liking. The fabric of the dress is pretty, but it feels like it was missing something.

I decided the best thing to do was to add a lace trim around the collar of the dress. 

1) Start pinning the trim along the neckline of the dress. I started from the back next to the zipper. 

2) Next, whip stitch the trim to the neck edge of the dress. You can also use a sewing machine, but hand-sewing gives better control and precision. Continue around the collar of the dress this way until you end up next to the zipper.

Done!
 

There us a definite improvement in the look of the dress. It is subtle, but effective.

Now you all know the effectiveness of LACE TRIM. It is an excellent technique to know and use especially when a garment needs a bit more flair.





No comments:

Post a Comment